Back to school has gotten underway. And with it comes homework, after school activities and just generally hectic schedules. Our crazy schedules can make having a healthy family weeknight dinner next to impossible many days but it doesn't have to be that way.
5 Tips to Simplify Your Weeknight Dinners
- Planning: Plan out your meals for the week is our biggest dinner tip. This can be an essential time-saving step. Develop a plan for food shopping, preparing meals and eating them early in the week.
- Simplify: A good family meal doesn't have to be fancy or time consuming to be healthy and delicious. Find a few simple and well balanced recipes that are quick and easy and add them to your rotation.
- Stock Up: Stock your pantry, fridge and freezer with healthy and easy food. You can throw meals together quickly with the help of pre-ready items from the store like washed and cut veggies.
- Cook in Advance: You can pre-make meals when you have some time. You can make double batches of casseroles and freeze one. Make a huge pot of soup and freeze half.
- Cook Once-Eat Twice: Re-purpose your leftovers into new meals. Mashed potatoes and pot roast can be tomorrow's shepherds pie. Leftover spaghetti and meatballs can be another night's meatball subs. Get creative.
Even though weeknight dinners can be crazy, it is still possible to eat healthy and delicious family meals. And don't forget the ever helpful slow cooker!