Our Asian Pearl Barley Salad is a great alternative to traditional asian salads, filled with ramen noodles and even more sodium. This recipe calls for Tamari which is a lower sodium option to soy sauce. The crunch from the sesame seeds, carrots and red cabbage make this dish so refreshing and satisfying especially as a summer treat. Edamame is a legume, 1/2 cup of them a per day really punches up the fiber, protein and vitamin/mineral content of your diet. Not to mention other nutritional benefits.Of course our Mochi Mugi barley kicks even more fiber to the dish. Find out why fiber is so important here.
Not into Asian flavors? Don't worry our broccoli salad is sure to satisfy at any event.
- 1 cup Barley ()
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup shelled and cooked edamame ( freezer section has them)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup Tamari sauce
1 TBS sesame oil
1 TBS rice wine vinegar
2 TBS green onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1TBS sesame seeds
1/4 tsp grated ginger
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil over medium heat. Add
barley. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place barley in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, edamame, red pepper, carrots, and cucumber. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, green onions, cilantro, sesame seeds, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over barley salad and stir to combine.
Looking for some more great side dishes this summer? Download our BBQ Side Dish Guide.