Barley Soup in Germany is a time old dish. It is called Graupensuppe, and is a German staple. Perfect for those cool autumn and winter days. This recipe embodies satisfying comfort food. Mochi Barley is high in fiber and protein. It has a chewy texture and nutty taste, similar to brown rice. Use this soup recipe to give barley a new spin, there is more to barley than just Beef and Barley Soup (no less delicious though).
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley (available from Mochi Barley )
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and finely chopped potato ( we prefer a russet potato)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped leeks
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 2 bratwurst sausages (available at most grocery stores)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 pieces of thick cut bacon, diced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley leaves or 2 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Once melted add onion and bacon, and cook until soft, 5 or so minutes.
- Add barley, and cook until lightly toasted, about another 5 minutes.
- Then add the stock, potato, carrot, celery, leek, marjoram, celery seed. and sausages, cook, for about 35 minutes.
- Remove sausages from saucepan, dice the sausages into cubes.
- Season the soup with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, garnish with parsley and sausages.