If you are like us you are always on the hunt for quick, easy and healthy weeknight dinner recipes that are also a delcious family hit. These become all the more important during the busy school year. Here's a great recipe to add to your meal rotation. Filled with fiber, protein, nutrients and veggies. It's sure to become a weeknight favorite in your house.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup Pearl Barley ()
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 small yellow (cooking) onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, cubed
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Place chicken in pan and let cook for about 7-9 minutes.
- Flip chicken once and cook for 2-3 minutes until bottoms are slightly brown. Remove chicken and place on a plate.
- Add the onions and zucchini. Cook until zucchini cubes are browned and onion has softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and continue cooking.
- Add rosemary, thyme and barley to skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back into the pot. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Move all the ingredients into an oven proof dish cover the dish with foil and place it in a preheated oven (350 degrees) for 20-25 minutes.
We know the challenge healthy and delicious weeknight dinners can be during the school year. Versatile, yummy, nutritious and quick cooking Barley is a key item to stock in your pantry for these times. Use our Back-to-School coupon below to stock your pantry now.